Sen. Tim Johnson
Democrat • South Dakota • 3rd Term • Sworn In 1997
- 15 Sponsored Bills (Ranks 80 of 99) 1 Made Into Law (Ranks 6 of 99)
- 186 Co-Sponsored Bills (Ranks 59 of 100) 4 Made Into Law (Ranks 12 of 100)
Johnson was born December 28, 1946 in Canton, South Dakota. He earned his B.A. in 1969 and an M.A. in 1970, both from the University of South Dakota. After doing post-graduate studies at Michigan State University from 1970-71, he earned a J.D. from the University of South Dakota in 1975. He served in the South Dakota House of Representatives from 1979-82 and in the South Dakota Senate from 1983-86. He served in the House of Representatives, representing South Dakota at-large, from 1987-97.
Johnson defeated three-term Senator Larry Pressler in 1996. He defeated his successor in the at-large House seat, U.S. Representative John Thune, by 524 votes to win re-election in 2002. His re-election race was widely seen as a proxy battle between President George W. Bush, who had carried South Dakota comfortably in 2000, and the state's senior Senator and Johnson's fellow Democrat, Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle, who was up for re-election in 2004. Read More...
- Today: 2
- Past Seven Days: 4
- All-Time: 36,984
- Senate Committee on Appropriations
- Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies
- Department of Defense
- Department of the Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies
- Energy and Water Development
- Military Construction and Veterans Affairs, and Related Agencies
- Transportation and Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies
- Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs
- Economic Policy
- Financial Institutions and Consumer Protection
- Housing, Transportation, and Community Development
- National Security and International Trade and Finance
- Securities, Insurance, and Investment
- Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources
- Public Lands, Forests, and Mining
- Water and Power
- Senate Committee on Indian Affairs
Most Recent Sponsored Bills
S.2570 - Tribal Adoption Parity ActRead twice and referred Jul 09, 2014 19 Views
A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to recognize Indian tribal governments for purposes of determining under the adoption credit...
S.2464 - National Bison Legacy ActRead twice and referred Jun 11, 2014 46 Views
A bill to adopt the bison as the national mammal of the United States.
S.Res.464Submitted in the Senate, considered, and agreed Jun 03, 2014 44 Views
A resolution designating June 2014 as "National Aphasia Awareness Month" and supporting efforts to increase awareness of aphasia.
Most Recent Co-Sponsored Bills
S.2709Introduced in the Senate Jul 30, 2014 0 Views
A bill to extend and reauthorize the Export-Import Bank of the United States, and for other purposes.
S.2673Read the second time Jul 29, 2014 1 Views
A bill to enhance the strategic partnership between the United States and Israel.
S.2609 - Marketplace and Internet Tax Fairness ActRead the second time Jul 16, 2014 30 Views
A bill to restore States' sovereign rights to enforce State and local sales and use tax laws, and for other purposes.
Recent Voting History
On the Nomination PN1187: Julie E. Carnes, of Georgia, to be United States Circuit Judge for the Eleventh CircuitAye (with party)July 21, 2014
On the Cloture Motion PN1187: Julie E. Carnes, of Georgia, to be United States Circuit Judge for the Eleventh CircuitAye (with party)July 17, 2014
S. 2244: Terrorism Risk Insurance Program Reauthorization Act of 2014
On Passage of the Bill S. 2244Aye (with party)July 17, 2014